Monday, July 8, 2024

Mini Book Reviews - 7/8/24

 Hi everyone!  

I thought I'd do a post of mini reviews of books and arcs (advance reader copies) I have read in the past week.


The Seventh Veil of Salome by. Silvia Moreno-Garcia


My rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 (3.5)

Mini review: I loved the historical setting, 1950's Hollywood.  The story centers around the making of a sword-and-sandal movie that was popular in that time and the studio casts a Mexican actress named Vera.  We see her deal with the racism and sexism during that time period.  Another character that is important is Nancy who embodies an actress trying to make it big but trying any which way to get there - she's hateful and racist.  Lastly, Salome's story is interwoven with the other two characters and I found her story fascinating and filled with political drama.  For the most part I enjoyed the story but I think the ending was anti-climatic.

**I received this book as an arc.  The book will be published on 8/6/24**


**********

A Winter Wish by. Emily Stone


My rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️💫 (3.5)

Mini review: I thought this was a cute holiday read! Lexie's dad has just passed and she never had a good relationship but he leaves her half of his travel company.  I love the travel destinations, the enemies to lovers romance, and I appreciated the relationships Lexie was trying to mend with her dad's memory and her step-sister.  Also there are lots of different Christmas elements in the story.  By it's conclusion, the story made me feel happy so I think this is a wonderful holiday romance. 

**********

Those are the two books I read and reviewed this week!  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment